[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup Mac OS X

From: Pieter Donche
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup Mac OS X
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:48:06 +0100 (CET)

I'm not a mac user, but need to install rdiff-backup
on a  Mac PowerPC G4(2.1) 700 Mhz, Mac OS X 10.4.11
and a iMacIntel7,1 Mac OS X Version 10.5.2
(everything on mac is new for me..)

On the PowerPC Mac, I first installed Fink (since the webpage of
rdiff-backup mentiones rdiff-backup is in Fink collection)
this went without problems.

From a Terminal window, then I used  apt-get  to fetch and install rdiff-backup
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install rdiff-backup
This fetches a lot of packahes, but finally gives me the warning:
  Unpacking xfree86
 WARNING: if you compile X11 applications against this XFree86 release,
 you will *not* be able to run them if you decide to revert to Apple's
 X11 provided with the OS.
 You have an existing X11 installation in /usr/X11R6 and/or /etc/X11.
 This package refuses to overwrite these. Remove then, then tell Fink to
 install XFree86 again. (The package won't be recompiled.). If you want
 to keep the X11 installation, please see the FAQ entry at
  http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/usage-packages.php#apple-X11-wants-xfree86
 for more information on how to configure your system.
 Press Return to continue.

(pressed return)
  /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/xfree_4.5.0_1040_darwin-powerpc.deb
 E: Sub-process /sw/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

The faq entry doesn't make me much wiser as to what I exactly have to do...
I'm not a Mac User, so I can't foresee what problems I will cause if
I do these removes mentionned ...  How can I safely proceed from here?

Has anyone the exact instructions (command line commands) I should do
now to install cleanly rdiff-backup and not break anything else

Thanks for you help and understanding...