[rdiff-backup-users] Remote nice level

From: iCy-fLaME
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Remote nice level
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:19:19 +0000

Hi,

I am use rdiff-backup from an remote server:

rdiff-backup address@hidden::/remote/backup/path /local/backup/path

The remote content only changes once a day, so I can have all day to
do my backup, without worrying about content inconsistency. It usually
completes within an hour anyway.

However, I am conscious that the rdiff-backup daemon in the remote
server is using up quite a bit of CPU  cycles. It is a rather busy
server for it's limited hardware, I can see measurable impact on over
all service performance during the backup.

I am wondering if there is a way to run the remote rdiff-backup daemon
in nice 19, for example, to reduce the stress it puts on the server.

I would prefer not initiate the backup from the remote server, because
the backup target host(s) address changes rather frequently.

Thanks!

iCy