Re: Re[4]: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify times increasing

From: Daniel Miller
Subject: Re: Re[4]: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify times increasing
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:35:00 -0500

On Nov 24, 2009, at 7:01 PM, Alex Samad wrote:
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 04:12:16PM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
On Nov 24, 2009, at 3:44 PM, address@hidden wrote:

[snip]

In my scenario the repository is synced to an external USB drive
that gets rotated each day (i.e. each day I put yesterday's drive in
storage and bring a different drive out of storage to use for the
next backup). I use rsync to transfer my rdiff-backup repository
(which gets updated daily) to the USB drive. Then I run rdiff-backup
--verify-at-time to verify that the files on the USB drive are not
corrupt. But lately this has been taking too long.

wouldn't the fact that you are reading lots of information from the usb
drive be slowing you down, why not run your --verify-at-time on the
local disk repo. and then when using rsync from local to usb us the -c
option to let rsync do a checksum on the files, but yuo are still going
to run into the slowness of USB drives

See my response to Greg. I think I addressed all these issues in that.

~ Daniel