Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Failover to warm standby and restore

From: Jakob Unterwurzacher
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Failover to warm standby and restore
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 23:05:47 +0100

address@hidden schrieb:
> Dear all,
>
> A friend recommended that I use rdiff-backup to maintain a back up of an
> inconveniently large, reasonably slowly changing file repository.
>
> I would like to keep the back up copy on a warm standby system, so that if
> the primary host fails, I can reconfigure the standby to replace it.
>
> I understand that modifying the back up files will invalidate the rdiff
> snapshots.
>
> Is there a sane way of keeping the snapshots valid that does not involve
> maintaining a second back-up copy?

I think you will need LVM snapshots for this.

When the standby goes hot, create a read/write snapshot of the backup,
make that snapshot available to the clients.

> When the primary host comes back up, are there any extraordinary
> considerations for updating its repository ?

You will have to push the changes in the snapshot somehow to the primary
(rsync -au ?).

Then you can destroy the snapshot and do business as usual.

Jakob