[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Restarting development ... or starting over

From: Daniel Miller
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Restarting development ... or starting over
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 15:55:51 -0400

Hi Micah,

I have continued work on the project, but development has been slow due to lack of time and motivation. I have renamed the project and at this point it only takes inspiration from rdiff-backup. The codebase has been written from scratch. Really the only thing in common between the two projects is the librsync diff engine and the mirror. The repository format has been redesigned and the (yet-to-be-developed) wire protocol will be different as well. Obviously that means it only works for local backups right now, but remote backup support is one of the next major planned features. I do have Mac OS X ACL support working, and I'm currently working on other OS X meta-data support. I hope to post it on GitHub at some point, but I'm not sure when that will happen. I'll likely post a message on the rdiff-backup list when I get around to that.

~ Daniel

Hi,

Daniel Miller <address@hidden> writes:

> I wasn't really prepared to make this announcement so soon, but now
> seems like a good time to let the community know. I've been working on
> a new implementation of rdiff-backup since about a month ago when I
> dug into the current codebase and discovered its disappointing
> quality.

I'm wondering where I can find your project. It sounds like it is
implementing some core architectural changes that would be good for
rdiff-backup.

I for one, do not mind if the on the wire protocol changes, if it means
all kinds of improvements like you decsribed!

micah