Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Linux to Windows file permissions

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Linux to Windows file permissions
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 09:18:48 -0500

On 04/27/2011 04:06 AM, Jarno Veuger wrote:
  Hi everyone,

I'm doing my first backup using rdiff-backup from Linux (CentOS5) to
Windows Server 2003 (Pull from Windows). I was wondering, are the Linux
file permissions backupped too? And what happens if I push the files
back, are these permissions automatically restored?

All of the metadata (permissions, ownership, security context, ACLs, ...)
is stored in separate files, so it's not dependent on having those features
in the file system that holds the backup.  Using a "foreign" file system
does mean that you can't use the quick "just copy the file from the mirror"
method of restoring the most recent version, but if you use rdiff-backup
to do the restore everything should come back just the way it was.

                Do NOT delete it.