Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Incredibly slow i/o to NAS server

From: Patrik Dufresne
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Incredibly slow i/o to NAS server
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 10:13:00 -0500

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Robert Nichols <address@hidden> wrote:
On 12/05/2016 04:01 AM, Frank Crawford wrote:
On Sun, 2016-12-04 at 08:58 -0600, Robert Nichols wrote:
I really want to look into SafeKeep <http://safekeep.sourceforge.net/> as an alternative, but I haven't had a chance to do that.

However, SafeKeep uses rdiff-backup under the covers, it is just we have spent a lot of time trying to optimise the options that we pass to rdiff-backup.

I guess I can scratch that off my todo list, then.  I find it astounding that anyone would build a new tool around a product that has been unsupported for over 7 years now.

Mostly because the alternative to rdiff-backup are worst. Even if rdiff-backup has some bugs, is old and stagnant, it's more robust then many other backup tool for Linux. We did our homework here and rdiff-backup was the best tool for our needs.

The best thing we can do is maintain rdiff-backup and fix the bugs we are facing from time to time.

--
Bob Nichols     "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
                Do NOT delete it.