[rdiff-backup-users] Backup fails with "lost connection to the remote"

From: Henti Smith
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Backup fails with "lost connection to the remote"
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 07:55:34 +0000

Good day all.

I'm having a tough problem with backing up a server. We've been running
successful backups on the server, but due to storage constraints we dropped
the retention to just one day. We're using backupninja to manage the
backups for us, but the underlying backup tool is rdiff-backup.

Since then we've been having regression and timeout issues, and have not
been able to successfully backup the data (which is quiet large)

I've even tried deleting the destination location completely and starting
from scratch.

The backup command is :

/usr/bin/rdiff-backup  --force --remote-schema \
'ssh -C -p 22 %s rdiff-backup --server' --print-statistics \
--exclude '/home/*/.gnupg' \
--exclude '/var/cache/backupninja/duplicity' \
--include '/var/backups' \
--include '/usr/local/bin' \
--include '/usr/local/sbin' \
--include '/var/lib/dpkg/status' \
--include '/var/lib/dpkg/status-old' \
--include '/var/lib/jenkins' \
--exclude '/*' / \
address@hidden::/srv/backups/
jenkins-master-01.internal.company.com/

The error we get is, Multiple lines of "UpdateError ${path_to_file} Updated
mirror temp file ${path_to_another_file} does not match source" ending
with:
Killed

                                      Fatal Error: Lost connection to the
remote system

I'm really at a loss as to what is causing the problem. It's likely that
the files listed in the "does not match source" are changing during backup
as our Jenkins server is pretty busy. If this is the cause, how do I get
around that ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Henti