[rdiff-backup-users] Include/Exclude advice

From: Ron Leach
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Include/Exclude advice
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 11:15:23 +0100

List, good morning,

We use rdiff-backup to regularly backup our debian file-server, and we wanted to additionally run a partial backup - into the same backup directory - much more frequently for the more-volatile files (all the files in our current projects). But when following the example from
http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/examples.html

rdiff-backup --include /srv/files/currentprojects --exclude '**' /srv/files /backup-location

rdiff-backup also seemed to make increments of all the other files in the *other* directories under /srv/files. I didn't expect this - I had thought that the example I used would exclude all the directories below /srv/files other than /srv/files/currentprojects .

I've read the man page especially the FILE SELECTION section, but I think I have misunderstood the file include and exclude options, or misunderstood the example. I admit that I didn't find the man page easy to follow.

Is it possible to backup:
- only /srv/files/currentprojects,
- into the same backup directory that our full backup of /srv/files is stored, - with the intention that the currentprojects directory is backed-up much more frequently - but would still be restored if ever a complete restoration of /srv/files were needed?

Grateful for any comment or advice,

regards, Ron