Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Forgetting to run as root: how to recover quick

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Forgetting to run as root: how to recover quickly
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 17:36:41 +0100

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 at 17:31, Bill Harris <address@hidden>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:30 AM Dominic Raferd <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 at 16:53, Bill Harris <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > I've used rdiff-backup for years, and I'm mostly very happy with it.
>> There
>> > is one problem that crops up occasionally; and I haven't found a way
>> around
>> > it yet.
>> >
>> > AFAICT, rdiff-backup likes running as root.  On rare occasion, I forget
>> and
>> > start it as myself.  rdiff-backup complains, and, as I recall, offers to
>> > sudo itself (I'm running Debian Stable, which is not normally set up as
>> > sudo system).
>> >
>> > If I enter a password (and perhaps even if I don't) and then hit Ctrl-c
>> > because I realize I messed up, I get the "it appears the last backup
>> > failed" message, and then I'm in for a long (about a day), full backup
>> > instead of the usual 15-45 minute incremental backup.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to recover in such a situation so that I don't have to
>> wait
>> > for such a long backup to complete?  I presume rdiff-backup won't react
>> > well to my changing files during the backup.
>> >
>> > Is there a secure way to keep this from happening?  I could learn how
>> > setuid works, but I think that's an insecure approach.
>> >

>> Unless you are backing up system files, rdiff-backup doesn't have to run
>> as
>> root, but in my experience it is wise always to run it as the same user
>> for
>> a given repository. For instance I think if you run a backup as root once,
>> then any subsequent run as another user to or from the same repository may
>> hit problems - because the user may be denied the necessary access to
>> certain rdiff-backup control files (in the rdiff-backup-data
>> subdirectory).
>>
>> The delay must be because after you break a backup run, rdiff-backup has
>> regress the backup to a consistent state. For it to take a day to do so
>> suggests you have a very large backup dataset and/or a very slow computer.
>> If possible, can you break down the dataset into smaller components, then
>> if you make the same mistake again, the regression will be much quicker? I
>> realise this means starting a load of new backup repositories (which TBH
>> is
>> why I haven't done it in one case where I have an unwieldy repository).

Thanks, Dominic.  I didn't realize it could run as me; I do backup a few
files from, I think, /etc perhaps another system directory, so that's why I
got in that mode.

>My repo doesn't seem that huge; my entire /home is about 60 GiB. Perhaps I
should check the speed of the drive I've got; it may be a 5400 RPM.  I
should perhaps profile rdiff-backup's operation, at least informally.

>What I hear you say is that a) there's no faster way to recover quickly if
I abort or if I try to run as the wrong user.  Is it possible for
rdiff-backup to detect and respond better to selecting the wrong user?  It
asks me for a > >password as if it's a sudo system, but I think it fails
after I enter the password.  Perhaps I always hit Ctrl-c and cause the
failure myself, but I thought I had gotten the "regressing" message even
without pressing Ctrl-C.

Ed's idea of changing the permissions on rdiff-backup so that it can only
be executed by root seems a pretty neat fix to prevent you accidentally
trying to run as someone else. Something like:
sudo chown root:root /usr/bin/rdiff-backup
sudo chmod 744 /usr/bin/rdiff-backup