replacementforms-discuss

Re: [Oracle Forms replacement] Ways to start this project

From: Jaroslaw Staniek
Subject: Re: [Oracle Forms replacement] Ways to start this project
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 00:26:47 +0100

On 28 February 2012 07:33, Jorge Cabezudo Perez
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Many people are still using Oracle Forms to build their tools because it's
> features to create forms fast and built-in buttons and options that every
> user normally use.
> I think that people who want an alternative to Oracle Forms must follow a
> long-term project because the evolution of the Oracle Forms software. The
> current release is 11g, web-enabled and with webutil library to enable the
> web-forms access to web-client resources.

Hi,
IMHO this is endless following the rabbit. I've been tasting this with MS
Access for years.

> Advanced Oracle Forms programmers must give their knolwedge about this
> product to the best skilled programmers in java or another client-server
> language.
> Forms has an API which can be a start to emulate their functionality. People
> can write the same functions with differents names.
> Also we can use the XML format of the forms builder for reverse-engineer the
> format.
> Oracle Forms has the ability to use another database because of its
> transaction and database triggers replacement.
> Hope people give a chance to start this interesting project.

What would be valuable are detailed requirements, prepared by people
like you, proficient in the area.

And I mean really detailed requirements like these for the leading
embedded database:
http://www.sqlite.org/requirements.html

Even partially finished analysis would help a lot to perform cost estimations
and pick area that is feasible with current resources.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek