repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] SourceForge requiring JS CAPTCHA to confirm

From: Sergey Matveev
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 07:53:02 +0300

*** Sergey Matveev <address@hidden> [2017-07-01 11:14]:
>*** Aaron Wolf [2017-06-29 08:50]:
>>Has anyone reached out to SF about this? The new owners were emphasizing
>>that they would listen more and be considerate of community concerns vs
>>the old SF owners. If you haven't, you should definitely contact them
>>directly with these complaints.
>
>I have created a ticket regarding that issue:
>https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/15235/

They have replied to me, but making support ticket private: so people
outside SF are unable to read their reply and my initial submission.
They answered the following:

----- Forwarded message from Brad BizX <address@hidden> -----

Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 23:14:34 +0000
From: Brad BizX <address@hidden>
To: "[forge:site-support] " <address@hidden>
confirmation

- **status**: unread --> closed
- **private**: No --> Yes
- **Comment**:

Hello,

SourceForge does not require Javascript, however our CAPTCHA provider,
ReCAPTCHA does. At this time, if your current every day browser doesn't support
or have Javascript turned on we recommend using another browser that does. It
is required as of now, as Google requires it and there is nothing we can do to
prevent that.

Sincerely,

SourceForge Support

---

** [site-support:#15235] JS required for maillist subscriptions confirmation**

**Status:** closed
**Created:** Sat Jul 01, 2017 08:11 AM UTC by Sergey Matveev
**Last Updated:** Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:01 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

Greetings! Some time ago Sourceforge began sending notifications about maillist
subscriptions confirmation. Confirmation page tells me that JavaScript is
required to do this. So I unsubscribed and subscribed again to lists, using
standard Mailman interface (email letters), because JavaScript is unacceptable
kind of thing for security and privacy and my Web-browser does not have it. I
hoped that that kind of subscription confirmations is seldom, possibly
once-happening issue. But today I received that confirmation letter, leading to
JavaScript-required page, again.

Do I have to unsubscribe/subscribe to all maillists every month, to bypass your
JavaScript requirements? If so, then it is very unconvenient and totally
privacy disrespecting. I used SF for many many years and this is the first time
it requires JS without any alternatives.

Would you please remove that regression? I do not have much against the action
of subscriptions confirmation, but currently it is unusable without JS enabled.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)