jami

Re: [Ring] Screen reader accessibility issue in latest version from Ubun

From: Stepan Salenikovich
Subject: Re: [Ring] Screen reader accessibility issue in latest version from Ubuntu PPA
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 17:15:57 -0500 (EST)

----- On Mar 2, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Stepan Salenikovich address@hidden wrote:

> ----- On Feb 14, 2017, at 6:22 PM, Jeremy Lincicome address@hidden wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I'm running the Orca screen reader on Ubuntu 16.10.
>>
>> There's an issue when tabbing around the Ring window. When tabbing
>> around the window, Orca will suddenly stop speaking.
>>
>> I'm not sure what's going on visually when this happens. I can recover
>> by using flat review and looking for the text label of the search box
>> and simulating a left click on it.
>>
>> Steps to reproduce:
>>
>> 1. Launch Orca by pressing Alt+Super+s.
>>
>> 2. Launch Ring.
>>
>> 3. Press tab to move around the screen.
>>
>> Eventually, Orca will stop reading to you.
>>
>> 4. To recover, use flat review to find the text that says "search" and
>> simulate a left click on it.
>>
>> The flat review commands for Orca can be found at:
>>
>> https://help.gnome.org/users/orca/stable/commands_mouse.html.en
>>
>> Note:
>>
>> When you launch Orca, you will be in desktop layout by default.
>>
>> Thanks for looking into this.
>>
>> Jeremy
>
> It seems that after tabbing into the WebKitWebView (which is used to display
> the chat) it does not change focus to the next widget when tabbing again.
> Although
> shift + tab works to leave it.
>
> I've pushed a small patch for review which should fix this issue once it is
> merged:
> https://gerrit-ring.savoirfairelinux.com/#/c/6207/
>
> I quickly tested with the screen reader enabled. Unfortunately I noticed that
> the screen reader isn't able to read the chat messages which are in the
> WebView,
> which I assume is the desired behaviour. I'm not sure if that is what happened
> previously when we used the GtkTextView for it. Maybe its something that can
> be easily fixed...
>
> -stepan

Actually, I just realized that using Control + Tab and Control + Shift + Tab
seems
to work to navigate. Is this an acceptable solution for those using Orca?

My initial patch to fix the Tab and Shift+Tab not working was simply to disable
keyboard focus in the chat view, but I don't like this because then you can't
scroll using the arrow keys.