jami

[Ring] Ring 1.0 coming soon, username blockchain reset

From: Adrien Béraud
Subject: [Ring] Ring 1.0 coming soon, username blockchain reset
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 18:56:48 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone,
Ring 1.0 is coming soon and the team is working hard to fix many small issues
before the release.

Savoir-faire Linux has been maintaining the experimental blockchain contract
registrar,
used to register Ring usernames since we introduced this feature last year.
Making Ring fully distributed and independent from any organization or central
infrastructure is an important goal of the project.
This includes the name service.

This week-end, the server running the experimental server and the only node of
the blockchain crashed and the blockchain data was corrupted.
We restarted the service, however the existing blockchain data was lost.

What does that mean for Ring users ?
Ring accounts and contacts are preserved since they live on your devices,
however blockchain usernames registered before 2017-07-15 are lost.
Users can still join existing contacts using their RingID (in their history)
and are encouraged to re-register a username.
Ring maintains a local name cache, it should be cleared in order to register a
new username:
Quit Ring, then:
GNU/Linux: delete ~/.cache/ring/namecache
Android: go to Settings/Applications/Ring/Storage and press "clear cache"
macOS: go to Finder, alt/option-click the "Go" menu and click Library, go to
Caches/ring, delete namecache
Win32: delete C:\Users\<username>\.cache\ring\namecache
UWP: delete
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Savoir-faireLinux.GNURing_pjjre1ywe6tnj\LocalState\.cache

What's next for the blockchain service ?
We are working to get the blockchain service out of the "experimental" state,
including setting up regular backups and having multiple blockchain nodes
internally for redundancy.
We also will be updating our documentation to encourage members of the community
to run their own Ethereum blockchain nodes (participating to the same
blockchain distributed network),
allowing to make the blockchain network more resilient and less dependant on a
single organization.

Adrien Béraud
Ring project director
Savoir-faire Linux