jami

Re: [Ring] GSoC: Asad Salman

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [Ring] GSoC: Asad Salman
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 05:57:54 -0400

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 08:31:02AM +0500, Asad Salman wrote:
> I have also started working on Ring's Electron client

to be clear - when you say "electron based ring client" - more plainly viewed,
this is actually a host for and interface to what is more generally a
"ring<->webRTC bridge" - the GUI interface to me is the least interesting
aspect of this idea

as any electron "app" is really just a striped-down web browser, i suspect you
are focussing too narrowly on that one trendy toolkit and possibly missing the
opportunity to make something generally useful - i.e. an external
"ring<->webRTC bridge" plugin that could be utilized by any web browser - that
would be a very interesting project

if the ring compatibity layer was integrated directly into the electron code i
dont see how that would offer anything notable that the standalone ring client
does not already provide

could you describe something that the electron client could do that the
standalone ring client does not - or any compelling reason why a user would
prefer it?