rule-list

[Rule-list] Tiny X thoughts

From: Richard Kweskin
Subject: [Rule-list] Tiny X thoughts
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:46:01 +0200

Hello All

Searching with google's group search for tinyx I came across this thread
dated June 2001. Any use?

Richard
address@hidden
From: Wayne Throop (address@hidden)
Subject: Re: TinyX with a nested full X
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.x

> address@hidden (Thierry Barusta)
> I would like to use TinyX and, when an application needs the full X,
> to run it in an xnest with full X capabilities.
> Is that possible?  How could I do that?

My reading of the Xnest man page (ie, didn't "use the source, Luke")
seems to indicate that Xnest presumes the server will have the same
capabilities that it offers to its own clients.  There's a section on
how Xnest behaves as a client (ie, how it would talk to TinyX in your
case) in the Xnest man page.  So it might not work to offer a capability
the underlying server does not.

Seems to me, you'd be better off using VNC (ie, Xvnc and vncviewer),
since the vncviewer (afaik) demands less of its server than Xnest
seems to.  See http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Another possibility is to run two X servers and switch between them with
control-alt-F[N].  That is, start the full X server only when you have a
app that needs it, but you need not terminate the more resource-stingy
server to do so.  Two Xfree86 servers can be done in this way (ie, one
with 24 bits per pixel, and one with 8bpp, so you can have a choice of
more resolution with less colors, or more colors with less resolution,
if your hardware can handle one or the other but not both),
and I suppose it's likely that TinyX on linux can also?

Wayne Throop   address@hidden   http://sheol.org/throopw