rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] About browsers for RULE

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] About browsers for RULE
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 12:27:23 +0000

On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 09:48 AM, Marco Fioretti wrote:

have you tried building a stand-alone Galeon, or found any info about
how to do it? I've asked a couple of times to the author, specifying
what we are trying to do here, but, IIRC, nobody in their group had ever
actually tried.

I haven't yet, no.

I have one friend who is a pretty "hardcore" Linux type, and have discussed RULE and lightweight Linux with him a lot. (He's not interested in Rule as he is a pure-Debian type.)

He says that as Galeon requires GNOME libraries as well as the Gecko Mozilla engine, it will be too big and slow for a really low-end machine. This has put me off trying so far.

However, the Dillo browser looks good for a REALLY thin web client:

http://dillo.cipsga.org.br/

Also, there's an "official" thin Mozilla coming along: Phoenix.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/

I have tried it on Windows and I'm impressed. It's small and fast - but it's far from finished yet and is still rather buggy. The good news is that the team say that it will be much smaller and faster when it is done!

Then, they plan to do a standalone email client and newsreader based on those bits of Mozilla. Sounds good to me - Mozilla is my preferred newsreader on Windows, but I'd prefer it to be smaller and simpler. I don't use a newsreader (or email program) in remotely the same way as I use a browser.

--
Liam Proven • Homepage: http://welcome.to/liamsweb
Tel: +44(0)20-8685-0498 • Mobile: +44(0)7939-087884