samizdat-devel

Re: done Re: german translation

From: boud
Subject: Re: done Re: german translation
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:51:19 +0100 (CET)

hi again,

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, boud wrote:

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, Matthias Kaschub wrote:

Hi,

Translation to german. (Used intructions from translation.txt and
source from samizdat-0.6.0.20070120-1_all.deb)

I translated a little bit more free, hope that's ok:

- I tried to avoid to use the second person, because there are two
 of them in german, and which one would be right depends on the
 type of website.
- The translation for "parent" does not exist in german, there is
 only a plural form of it. So i used "übergeorndet", that means
 "superordinated" when literally translated back.

Great! :).

i uploaded to cvs, and for de.po put in "Samizdat 0.6.0" as
Project-Id-Version and also did this for es/fr/pl.

cvs download is:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/samizdat \
  co samizdat

Could you please also translate the example site-specific header in
config.yaml?

  header:
    en: >
      collaboration and open publishing web sites. Samizdat intends to
      promote values of freedom, openness, equality, and
      cooperation.</p>

      homepage</a>.</p>

i've uploaded config.yaml with +fr +pl to cvs and added a note
in translations.txt.

This might sound not very useful from a software point of view, but
from the "usability" point of view for a novice user and especially
someone easily discouraged by foreign languages (including English),
it's important IMHO.  Many people will look at the header, decide
"this software package is not fully prepared in my language" and may
not look more closely to see that i18n/l10n has actually been done very
well on nearly everything which is non-trivial - from the software point of view.

It may also sound rather not very useful because of the likelihood
that the sysadmin installing it will prefer to write his/her own
header.  However, IMHO this is not a sufficient argument. Someone
installing the package wants to quickly see if it is more or less
behaving as s/he expected. If the header is only in en, then that's a
local modification that we *force* on the sysadmin in a non-english
speaking culture.

Anyway, i probably don't need to convince anyone - but i guess this is
also a call for be/ru/ua translations...  i should be able to get es
done for this header section.

cheers
boud