[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #250073] wikimedia, make a fork a

From: Sebastian Wieseler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #250073] wikimedia, make a fork and the GPL
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 16:36:38 -0400

Hey Dave. :-)

>> And what about the copyright stuff? How does he know where the
>> original author is of a file? Or can we assign all copyright per
>> default to the Wikimedia project?
>
> You could check CVS logs, or just leave that blank.

And if the maintainer of the "fork" changes a file?

He cannot write on top of the file
(C) 2005 <name>, because that implicit that nobody other
copyrighted that file in this year, and of some files it's
totally wrong I think.

But if I am right, he cannot copyright any of these files, because
if he do so and leave the other copyrights blank, he breakes
the copyright, right?

What's the other choice? Look at the cvs log....
but if someone insert a change <10 lines he cannot copyright
the file, heh?

And I don't think
a) there are less files of mediawiki
b) there are less changes of the files
c) there are less authors, who
   changes some files

We can also have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Version:
"This wiki is powered by MediaWiki, copyright (C) 2001-2005 Magnus Manske,
Brion Vibber, Lee Daniel Crocker, Tim Starling, Erik Moeller, and others."

So now we should collect the "others"?

Dave, do you have any suitable procedure or don't you
see my point(s)?

Regards,