[Savannah-hackers-public] Patch²: Maintaining a patch for a debian packa

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Patch²: Maintaining a patch for a debian package
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:12:44 +0200

Hello,

I have a couple Debian packages that I need to patch with custom local
changes. The patches are small and I hence can follow the security
updates from the security team.

However, I wonder if there's already a way to automatically manage
such kind of packages. Ideally, when running aptitude (or a wrapper),
and if my patched package 'A' is updated, then the updated sources of
'A' would be downloaded, my custom patch applied, and then 'A' would
be automatically rebuild and installed. Of course, if there's a
conflict, the process would stop with an error.

Is this kind of auto-patching already implemented? Maybe apt-fu could
be used for that task, but it's apparently discontinued.

Any suggestions or best practices? :)

TIA,