[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Mailman "upgrade"

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Mailman "upgrade"
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:40:43 -0500

%% John Sullivan <address@hidden> writes:

  js> address@hidden writes:

  >> I'm sorry to say that, unless there's currently some problem with
  >> the mailing list servers that will be cleared up shortly, I think
  >> we have to UNDO whatever spam filtering, etc. we currently have
  >> installed on lists.gnu.org etc.
  >>
  >> Why?  Because apparently the hardware we have installed is totally
  >> incapable of delivering mail in anything close to an acceptable
  >> timeframe with this filtering enabled.

  js> My understanding is that this delay is the result of the machine
  js> working through its rather large backlog of messages accumulated
  js> during the recent downtime, not because of any new spam filtering
  js> techniques. So there isn't anything to undo, and things should be
  js> getting better.

Thanks John, that's good to know... does anyone have any idea WHEN
they'll be getting better; how much of the backlog is left to clear and
how quickly is it going through?  I tried to login to the mail server
but it won't let me :-).

As far as I can tell email has been wicked slow for many days now: maybe
as long as week a week or more.  It's hard to imagine what kind of
backlog we could accumulate that would account for that.

Actually I don't remember a downtime recently: are you talking about the
spam blacklisting problem?  Or a real server outage of some kind?  When
was it and how long did it last?  I'm wondering how much downtime it
takes to get our servers into this sorry state...