[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: log_accum at Savannah

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: log_accum at Savannah
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 19:08:28 +0200

(sorry for the delay, I just got 2 weeks far from peaceful :))

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 01:12:17PM -0400, Derek R. Price wrote:
> > I've installed this fix with minor modifications.  I should have a patch
> > for `--separate-diffs DIFFERENT-EMAIL-ADDRESS' shortly.
> >

> Okay, I've installed a change to accept an optional EMAIL-ADDRESS
> argument for --separate-diffs (and its -S synonym).  Be a little
> careful, because that means that -S can no longer be bundled without
> eating the end of an option list (e.g. -vS is okay, but -Sv would try to
> email diffs to "address@hidden") and if either -S or --separate-diffs
> appears as the last option before the %p, the module path will be parsed
> as an email address.
>
> The short way of saying this is that anything following -S or
> --separate-diffs that doesn't look like another option will be parsed as
> an argument to -S.
>
> Some acceptable invocations:
>
>     log_accum -qm address@hidden -S address@hidden %p %{sVv}
>     log_accum -qS -m address@hidden %p %{sVv}
>     log_accum -qm address@hidden --separate-diffs -- %p %{sVv}
>     log_accum -m address@hidden --separate-diffs -q %p %{sVv}

Ok. Maybe it would ease the job if we only accept -S and -S=mail ?

I don't know if GetOpt supports this though.

> If --separate-diffs is specified without any email addresses, diffs will
> be mailed to the --mail-to address(es).

Ok. Currently nobody uses this at Savannah though.

Well it used to be that way, but that was more a misconfiguration from
us rather than a user wish.

I then changed it a few months ago so that people got
notification+diffs combined. I got on happy user thanking us for the
change, and nobody complained :)

> It shouldn't matter where "separate-diffs" appears in a config file,
> whether it is followed by an email address argument or not.

I installed the new version of commit_prep+log_accum at Savannah.

I now plan to work on a web interface to enable users to make the
changes.

You may want to put back "#! @PERL@ -T" instead of "/usr/bin/perl -T"
in log_accum.pl - if that's useful.

Also, you removed the text output stating that a notification was
sent. I find it useful, because users can see that the notification
was sent - even if they don't get the mail for some reason. Was it
intentionnal? Currently I added an "echo" command in loginfo, but it
is not as accurate as using it directly in log_accum. Would that be
ok?