[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #323176] [Savannah] PEAR's QuickF

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #323176] [Savannah] PEAR's QuickForm and the PHP license
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:56:26 +0100

Hello,

I initiated a discussion with the PHP and PEAR group:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.php.pear.devel/40682/focus=40682

Nobody is sure about whether the latest PHP license is compatible with
the GNU GPL, in fact.

- Could you precise whether the PHP license v3.0_1_ is compatible with
  GPLv2? There's only comments about compatibility with v3.0 (not
  3.01). I attach a diff. I think those changes were made to make the
  license applicable to works that are not PHP itself but also
  released by the PHP Group, following a request by the Debian-legal
  people.

- More importantly, is the PHP license v3.01 compatible with
  GPLv3draft2?

  The comment at the end of
  http://gplv3.fsf.org/wiki/index.php/PHP_license%2C_version_3.01 makes
  me thing there's no compatibility:

"However, the second draft of the GPLv3 prohibits the following additional
terms:
    requirements regarding changes to the name of the work
which conflicts with the PHP license's prohibition on using "PHP" as a name for
the work."

This affects the way we approve GNU GPL'd project using PEAR packages
at Savannah, so I'd like to be sure about it. Can you check?

Thanks,