Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: locate on sv.gnu.org?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: locate on sv.gnu.org?
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 17:01:22 -0600

    I don't think so, I believe 'nice' helps with the CPU load but not
    with disk I/O :/

I thought the theory is that something nice -19'd will run only when
nothing else wants to run, for whatever reason.  Sure, it'll pound the
disk, but it still might help with perceived performance of other
processes.

    Suggestions?

I don't know of any other way to affect scheduling priority, or do disk
priority in particular.

A low-tech idea: do the indexing only once per week, say, Sunday morning
at 2am.  Even with something as big as savannah, even used worldwide,
I'm sure there must be slow times and busy times.

    Do you remember of concrete examples of files you were looking for?
    It'd help determining what data needs to be indexed and what might be
    ignored.

I remember some, but it doesn't help.  Stuff like "locate brains99"
(trying to track down crazy web recursive symlink), "home.shtml" (more
web symlinks), different versions of the same file in
gnulib/findutils/etc.  The whole point is that I'm not entirely sure
what I'm looking for or where it is, that's why I'm searching.  So
there's no use in indexing only some files.

It doesn't happen very often.  I've maybe done it half a dozen times
since I got access.  I'll miss it on the occasions when it's needed, but
if no one else cares, never mind.

Thanks,