[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Git on savannah

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Git on savannah
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 13:42:37 +0200

Jim Meyering <address@hidden> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi!  I want to set up a Git repository for some of my projects on
>> savannah.  However, I can't find any information on how to do this.  Can
>> you point me in the right direction?  I understand that you have set up
>> a few repositories there.
>
> Hi Simon,
>
> At least Sylvain (Cc'd) and I can help you set it up.

Thanks.

> If you'd merely like to mirror to a read-only Git
> repository an existing CVS repo, I can help you start that
> process right away.  With an existing project, this is
> a good way to start.
>
> Hmm.. from the way that's worded, it's ambiguous.
> Is your project already on Savannah?  Or is this a new
> (to Savannah) project that you'd like to set up there.
>
> Do you already have a git repository?
> Was it properly converted, mapping username->[name,email]
> pairs in the logs, from some other VCS?
>
> Do you think you'll want to provide or retain CVS-pserver
> access to the Git repository?
> Do you want the primary (writable) repo to use Git?
> If you're interested in this,
> would you like Savannah to continue to maintain a mirrored
> (read-only) CVS repository, or would git-cvsserver's simulated
> cvs server suffice?
>
> I've Cc'd savannah-hackers-public, to keep them in the loop,
> and besides, someone there might be able to help, too.

I guess I should explain better.  I'm not certain this is the best way
to have things work, but it is at least what I'd prefer:

I want to move GnuTLS, which is maintained in CVS on cvs.gnupg.org right
now (i.e., not on savannah) to a local git repository on my laptop,
which I push to my server (josefsson.org), from which savannah and
repo.or.cz and others mirror it.

It is important that CVS read-only access still works.

I don't know what access method is the best to use on josefsson.org.
Ssh seems complicated for anonymous (or?), so I suppose git's own
protocol or rsync is the way to go?

Is this possible?  Any help appreciated.

/Simon