[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [Savannah-help-public] mcasadevall user?

From: Michael Casadevall
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [Savannah-help-public] mcasadevall user?
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 03:07:46 -0400

On Aug 10, 2007, at 4:07 PM, Jim Meyering wrote:

Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 12:32:01PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
I noticed what looks like a regular user (mcasadevall) in /etc/ passwd.
Is this deliberate?  ISTR it's against policy.

Hi Sylvain!

Michael asked to create a user account because he didn't want to
always work as root. Why not. What I'm against is enforcing the use of
sudo, because it's cumbersome to type a password at each and every
login.

Not only that, IMHO, it's best not to type a password on a WAN
connection, even if it's tunneled through ssh.

(Btw what policy are you mentioning?)

I asked before I made it; if its a problem, you can delete it (I hate working at root though)

I thought I requested something similar, but heard that it wasn't
an option.  I too dislike working as root.  Case in point: my current
cvs-to-git project.  So I may be creating one for myself, too.

I forgot to mention that Michael has root access since a couple
days. It was said on the IRC channel but sometimes I forget not
everybody is here :/ Michael plans to improve SVN support, especially
because he needs it for a GNU Hurd-related project right now (after
not managing to agree about choosing git or bazaar or else ;)).

Michael, you should have asked me.
I would have convinced you to use git :)

Also, I scp'd files to address@hidden:
and see them show up with this same ownership:

  address@hidden ls -l /var/tmp/c2g-mirror/
  total 16
  drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody      nogroup     4096 Aug 10 06:22 .map/
  -rw-r--r-- 1 mcasadevall mcasadevall 7895 May  5 09:03 emacs
  -rw-r--r-- 1 mcasadevall mcasadevall 1019 Jul 25 17:46 gnulib

I would have expected them to be owned by root.
Anyone know why?  Should we worry, or do something differently?

  $ ssh -l root sv.gnu.org id -a
  uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

I guess that scp tries to preserve the ownership of the files you send
- and I guess your local user id is #1000, just like mcasadevall.

Eww... sounds right.
I'll either stop using scp, or find a way to disable that option.

Since we'll probably make the mistake more often then once, it would
be good to remap mcasadevall to #5000 or something, unless somebody
has a cleaner solution :)

If you want to remap it, its fine, I haven't done anything with the account just yet,
so it would just be a matter of chowning my home folder.
Michael