Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: initial mercurial frontend patch

From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: initial mercurial frontend patch
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:28:34 +0200

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 9:26 PM, Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:

>  Good.
>
>  Are you sure there isn't a way for hgwebdir to automatically discover
>  repositories? As the number of repositories will grow, the
>  configuration file may become big, it will need to be reloaded if we
>  run it through mod_python, etc. Maybe we could implement this feature.
>
>  If this isn't practical we can regenerate the configuration each time
>  a repository is created, as you mentioned.

Found it. In the hgwebdir configuration file:

[collections]
/ = .

This will display repos and subrepos automatically.

>  This:
>  ssh://hg.sv.gnu.org:/myproject
>  is quicker to type than this:
>  ssh://hg.sv.gnu.org:/srv/hg/myproject
>
>  If we can allow shorter URLs, it's good :)

OK, I see. :-)

>  A PQM is different than Mercurial's "queues".
>
>  A PQM is a process that receives commits in a way or another (e.g. by
>  mail) and applies them to a repository, and possibly triggering
>  hooks. This can be used as a replacement for server-side hooks when
>  the VCS does not support them.

Then, no idea. I will need to have a look.

>  Yes. Some users have a tradition of using personal repositories and
>  merging from each others, rather than using a central repository.
>
>  If those users want to work the "decentralized" way, they need a form
>  of personal repositories.
>
>  Instead of giving personal repositories that are not part of a
>  project, I think they should create a project sub-repository
>  instead. This makes it clear that we offer hosting for an approved
>  project (that is, we don't offer hosting for unapproved personal
>  stuff).

As you say, a subrepo with the user name could be automatically
created for each project member. Of course, this doesn't prevent users
from using their subrepos for personal stuff, so this would mean more
work for you, or you just could trust people. :-)

Aleix