Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Fw: Cron <address@hidden> /usr/bin/python

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Fw: Cron <address@hidden> /usr/bin/python -S /var/mailman/cron/senddigests
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:41:37 +0200

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 05:11:04PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
>     address@hidden receives this error on a regular basis (I'd say every
>     day).
>
>     Any clue?
>
> Basically, no.
>
> We've discussed it before, at some length.  It is obviously a bug
> somewhere in mailman but no one has had time/interest to track it down.
> Joshua had the thought that maybe turning off the digest delivery option
> would stop it, but it didn't.
>
> I've now altered /var/mailman/cron/senddigests.karl to once again skip
> libtool-patches (along with gnu-arch-users and myexperiment-topsecret,
> for which the problem also happened).
>
> A similar thing happens with checkdbs on bug-coreutils.
>
> If you or anyone wants to delve into it, feel free.  The original
> scripts in /var/mailman/cron/*.orig; my changes in *.karl are entirely
> trivial.

Hi,

Here's the backtrace (by executing the manually w/o try/catch):

>>> mlist.send_digest_now()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Digester.py", line 60, in send_digest_now
    ToDigest.send_digests(self, mboxfp)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 155, in send_digests
    send_i18n_digests(mlist, mboxfp)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 246, in
send_i18n_digests
    msgsubj = msg.get('subject', _('(no subject)'))
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'get'

Here's the code involved (Mailman 2.1.5):

   msg = mbox.next()
    while msg is not None:
        if msg == '':
            # It was an unparseable message
            msg = mbox.next()
        msgcount += 1

Here's the code in Mailman 2.1.9:

    while msg is not None:
        if msg == '':
            # It was an unparseable message
            msg = mbox.next()
            continue
        msgcount += 1

(additional "continue")

Afaict the error occurs when 2 successive messages in
/var/mailman/lists/<listname>/digest.mbox are unparseable.

The error probably goes away next time the digest is send (in the case
of libtool-patches, each month only).

Karl, I revert your changes (senddigest and crontab -e) so we see if
the digest will be sent for libtool-patches (it already contains mails
from 16 March - 15 April, so maybe it will be sent soon).

Is there a reason why Mailman isn't upgraded to 2.1.9?

Cheers,