Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] new fronpage text

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] new fronpage text
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 22:37:38 +0300

FWIW, I fully agree with what John said, plus:

Jonathan Gonzalez V. wrote:

> Savannah, as many other sites, it's a forge, with a big different, we
> only host free software. All the software that you can find here it
> was reviewed and verified that doesn't have any license problem which
> include dependencies.

This implies that the user can be absolutely sure that by using
software hosted at Savannah he is certain that he's using only free
software.  This is a fallacy.  While you check carefully all projects
during the approval stage, nothing prevents a project accidantially or
even deliberately making their software non-free or (build-)depending
on proprietary software at any time after it is created.

Of course I'm not saying that there should be a brigade to regularly
double-check all projects; given the scarce resources this is close to
impossible.  The question is not to create this illusion.