Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Suggestions for sidebar links

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Suggestions for sidebar links
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 23:52:42 +0200

Hi,

A couple caveats:

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:11:15AM -0400, John Sullivan wrote:
> address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:
>
> > I think the "GNU Task List" item should be removed, since it's a subset
> > of "Help GNU".
> >
> > Seems like "Dev Documentation" should be under "Developer Info".
> >
> > Now that so many vc's are supported, is "Anonymous CVS" really worth
> > having in the sidebar?  The specific instructions on the project pages
> > are much more useful IMHO.
> >

> I second all of these suggestions. After removing Anonymous CVS,

That's a request from RMS, because sometimes people are not clever
enough to find the CVS instructions and ask the Emacs mailing list.

CVS is also still the most widely used VCS.

> I think the
> Cryptographic Software Notice could be moved under Site Help (does it even
> need
> to be so prominent?),

Yes, it needs to be proeminent. RMS asked to put it clearly. This is
the remnent of the law against exportation of cryptographic software
in the US, which was recently relaxed. Consider this text a legal
obligation (check http://www.kernel.org/ for a more proeminent
notice).

> and the Developer Info heading removed.
>
> > The "Free Software Directory" is not part of the "GNU Project", but I
> > don't know how to fix that.
> >

> That heading could be changed to GNU & FSF, or something like that.

I'm in favor of keeping 'GNU' and 'FSF' separate concepts :)