[Savannah-hackers-public] autoredirect for savannah downloads

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] autoredirect for savannah downloads
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:49:38 -0500

Randy Kobes in Winnipeg has set up autoredirection services for GNU,
CPAN, and CTAN.  That is, a generic url that automatically redirects to
a "nearby" mirror -- e.g.,,

I expect he would be happy to do the same for the non-GNU savannah
downloads, now that we have several mirrors

Would having this be of interest?

If yes ... for it to work, we would have to install mirmon
( -- that's how Randy's service can
know which mirrors are up to date.  Mirmon itself is a Perl script that
is no particular problem to install.  However, since I've never
installed anything on savannah before, I'd need some guidance to do it.
E.g., do I just enter the vserver frontend and then do a "normal"
install in /usr/local?  Or are there other conventions that should be