Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] my intro

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] my intro
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:10:25 -0600

    gnu in project name:                Pass

It's ok to have "gnu" in the project name if it is a gnu package.  I
don't see how your script can easily have access to that bit, though.  I
suggest saying "yes" or "no" instead of "Pass or "Fail"; that will
remind humans that it's a factor.

    -- Searching for file 'license' in any case in root dir

The license file is most often named "COPYING".  It should accept
anything starting with that.

    address@hidden:~/Desktop/tempcontent$ ./gnu_chkproj.pl -v

Perhaps the verbose output should always be shown (ie, no verbose flag).
The humans running this should not blindly take its results on faith.

    any comments/suggestions are welcome.

In terms of the code, here are some suggestions:

1) I suggest having a main() function and making the top-level code do
   basically nothing but load packages and call main.

2) You don't check the status of the second call to chdir.

3) I suggest using #!/usr/bin/env perl; that will work on more systems.
   And there is no need for a #! line on the .pm file; it isn't used there.

4) I suggest renaming the script to, say, "sav_chkproj" right now,
   before the "gnu" goes any farther.  This isn't about GNU packages,
   it's about savannah.

5) I suggest keeping source lines to <= 79 chars.

6) I suggest an explicit return 0, or perhaps returning 1 if anything
   fails and 0 if all is well.  In any case, falling off the end is not
   good.

Best,
Karl