Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: autoredirect setup help

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: autoredirect setup help
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:09:15 -0600

    I adapted Randy's script to only use up-to-date mirrors for the
    multiplexer

Good deal.

    (i.e. don't use bigsearcher's here).

I commented out bigsearcher, de-mirror, and centervenus from the web
page and deleted them from /vservers/sftp/srv/download/00_MIRRORS.txt (I
guess commenting out would be better, but anyway, backed up in ...~ for
now).  I wrote to the admins a few days ago and they didn't answer, so
fine.

    Randy: do we need to restart Apache2 when 'ctan.txt' changes?

FYI, your message didn't go to Randy, as far as I can see.
(I don't know the answer, but I surely hope not.)

    Karl, about the URL, what do you think of this:
    - we set http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/ as the multiplexer URL
    - we document another URL
      (e.g. http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases-noredirect/) for
      when people want to check the canonical location

We could try it, since I guess it'll make the most use of the mirrors.
It'll be a big change.  For example, if project maintainers put up a new
file and then go to http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/ to check
if it's there, they won't see it.  So it's something to announce and
document, for sure.

Thanks,
Karl