Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] php and savannah?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] php and savannah?
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:47:54 -0600

    beuc> I don't understand why you make a distinction between command
    line applications and web-based applications.

I was thinking that the license of a project written in PHP had to be
compatible with PHPL.

    http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/PhpIssues

Ah.  The crucial thing I was forgetting was:

> This is not a problem for the PHP language itself, because the GNU GPL
> makes an exception for a project's underlying programming language

Ok, in that case, we can have GPL'd projects written in PHP, as long as
they don't actually use PHPL'd libraries such as Pear.  Good.

Thanks,
Karl