Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Two question which I have to pass on

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Two question which I have to pass on
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:07:23 -0600

    Who would be the right person to convince?

I don't know if you wrote rms yet.  But I belatedly realized that it's
not really a matter of "convincing".  It's a matter of the law.  All the
other arguments are beside the point.

If you research loc.gov and find that there is a statement explicitly or
even implicitly saying ranges are allowed in copyright notices, then
that's great and we can move forward with a change.  I did not find such
a thing, but I don't claim to have perused every word of every document.

Without a legal foundation, it's pretty much pointless to discuss it,
because (I am virtually certain) what rms will say (after a delay) is
"ask the lawyers", and what the lawyers will say (after a much longer
delay) is "the law says it's best to keep the years separate".  At least
this is what happened the last time we went around this loop, and
nothing has changed since.  And rms and the lawyers have other things to
do with their time than go around again ...