Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Modifying Savannah website

From: Nicodemo Alvaro
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Modifying Savannah website
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 22:34:05 -0400

On 5/12/09, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
>     as it is required to be authenticated to view the /register/ location.
>
> Really?  I am able to see
> https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php without being logged
> in.  (The ssl cert thing is likely rather off-putting, but of course
> that's a different issue.)

I mean clicking on the "Register New Project" link without being
authenticated leads to a login page. After creating your login,
logging in, and clicking the link again you will come to the form page
that has a checklist and the requirements under all the clutter of the
project registration page. This way is inefficient.

If you were to make the requirements stand out somewhere, people would
be given a better chance to prepare or stop. The requirements should
be the first thing they should see. If not on the front page, maybe at
the beginning of the form instead of reading it last. I would place
links in both places.

>     I think that the best source of information is already linked from
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/HowToGetYourProjectApprovedQuickly
> is the most comprehensive list I know of -- despite not being the
> official policy, everything on there is officially required as far as I
> know.  I didn't see it linked from requirements.php.

I think that something should be made an official policy. Use the wiki
page a document of modifying the official policy.

> In any case, I agree with both of you that the above non-wiki
> requirements.php page could be considerably more specific.
>
> By the way, I have been in awe of both your efforts at taking care of
> incoming registrations!
Thanks. I am happy to see appreciation.
>     You might want to place strong (bold), big, and emphasis html tags on
>     text that link to the requirements.
>
> Different issue, but since it came up ... for me, the brown color for
> links used on savannah is quite hard to distinguish from normal text.
> (My vision is not the best.)  If we let people have their own normal
> link color, they would stand out a lot more.

I would agree here.

--
Nicodemo