Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Support for Openjdk improvements

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Support for Openjdk improvements
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:14:41 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 08:04:40AM -0500, Nicodemo Alvaro wrote:
> Java still seems to be a moving target for free software. There is
> an article that argues Sun continues to make non-free releases and could
> be taking the hard work of the community.
>
> http://gnu.wildebeest.org/diary/2009/11/14/trusting-companies-with-your-code/

That's a first problem.  We want people to test their Java code with
Free Java Suites, such as OpenJDK/IcedTea.

> I am a wondering how if it is okay to accept projects which have
> support in the newer versions of openjdk that still have not arrived in
> most free software distributions? For example, Scacchi3d seems to
> require the Nimbus Swing Look and Feel class which was not supported
> until last month in openjdk-6.

That's a different problem.  It's common for a project in development
to use "bleeding edge" versions of its dependencies.  As long as it's
free it's OK.  Let's not make the distros' delays an additional
requirement.