[Savannah-hackers-public] mirroring mailing list

From: Karl Berry
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 00:11:42 GMT

In case anyone here is interested.

Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 16:50:38 -0500
  Requestors: address@hidden

Hi GNU web- (& mirror-) master,

Sinceever I found that there is no common forum for mirror admins and
mirror infrastructure maintainers to discuss mirror issues on a
general level, I wish to establish such a place.

There are only the project-wide mirror lists - but none where
everybody is present. As a result, issues tend to be discussed only in
the respective "mirror communities"; for instance,
* there is an interesting discussion about a mirror hierarchy on the
CentOS mirror mailing list.
* Other example, on the OpenOffice mirror mailing list people discuss
about securing a mirror system.
* I currently would like to discuss the merits of mirror selection by
geographic coordinates.

All these topics would better fit in one shared forum where all the
folks are present. There are enough topics in that everybody is
interested I think. What do you think?

I think that the following subjects could be interesting:

* discuss mirror selection schemes so it fits users, mirrors, content
providers alike
* share hard-to-aquire insights about how the Internet works in
different parts of the world, and about network "anomalies" (e.g.
satellite links, or remote regions)
* discuss, enhance and fine-tune geolocation
* discuss new variants of geolocation, using IPv6 and 32-bit ASNs
* share the experience collected in implementing mirror infrastructures
* foster collaboration
* avoid duplication of efforts
* develop best practices for running mirrors: tuning servers as
download servers (high througput, large files) and how to limit abuse
(DoS protection)
* discuss how to best sync content out to a mirror hiearchy
* develop better load balancing and mirror monitoring
* coordinate release days to avoid spikes by conflicts
but there could be more.

The mirror admins already connect to many mirror communities through
their respective mailing lists, but that's distributed over a number
of mailing lists, and the mirror infrastructure maintainers don't
connect among themselves yet.

Now, it takes a bit to get this new community started: at first,
there's nobody... but, the list has 13 subscribers at the moment, and
you could be number 14 :-) I think, once more involved people are
there, there is a good chance that it becomes really interesting.

To subscribe, send a mail containing "subscribe discuss" in the body
to: address@hidden
(There'll be an initial delay due to greylisting.)

Archive: http://mirrorbrain.org/archive/discuss/

The following link might or might work with your mail client:
mailto:address@hidden

And if there's anyone else, feel free to share this mail. Also, feel
free to post it on your mirror mailing list!

Thank you!
Peter