[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [avrdude-dev] Hosting requirements in avrd

From: Martin Bogomolni
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [avrdude-dev] Hosting requirements in avrdude
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:41:37 -0500

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Mario Castelán Castro <address@hidden> wrote:

> April 16th 2010 in address@hidden copy in
> address@hidden thread "GNU Savannah hosting
> requirements and avrdude".
>
> Hi avrdude mantainers.
>
> I reached the project page a couple of days ago, I noticed some issues
> of my concern:
>
> *The documentation and the main page calls the operating system
>  "Linux".  Please change references to Linux as an operating sistem to
>  a appropiate naming as GNU/Linux is.  See
>  http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html.

Mario .. I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it.    Are you
saying that Savannah won't host software if someone decides that
"Linux" is sufficient.  Really?

Also, if you are going to ask people to change what they are doing,
and to pay attention, it's polite and shows a bit of respect to spend
time composing your letter, and at least run things through a spell
checker.   Yes, perhaps I'm being a bit pedantic on this issue, but
only in kind to your email.   I know that English may not be your
primary language of choice, but please understand that it is also not
my primary language either.

"appropiate" "sistem"

> *AVRDUDE is labeled as open source but not as free software.  We don't
>  support open source but free software.  This is explained very well
>  in http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.
>
> *Some copyrightable files in the tarball and SVN repository lack the
>  propper copyright & licensing information.  All copyrightable files
>  must have a clear copyrigth status.  Please add the copyright &
>  licensing information as a comment in all files above 10 lines long.
>  See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.
>  Note year ranges are heavily *disouraged*; it's prefered to list each
>  year.

"propper" "copyrigth" "disouraged" "prefered" ...

> *The AVRdude documentation is under a sort of vague copyleft license.
>  We need all manuals to be under a license compatible with the FDL.
>  The FDL 1.3 or later at user choise is adviced.

"choise" "adviced"

>  It's ok to dual license the work under the current license and the
>  FDL 1.3+, but IMO the FDL alone fit's all the copyleft needs for a
>  manual.

"fit's"

> *AVRdude still uses SVN, whose is slow and lack important features.  I
>  advice you switch to a modern DVCS; this is *not* a requirement at
>  all, is just adviced for the comfort of the users.

"adviced"

> We need you fix this issues.  They are required for the sake of the
> current, and potential future free software users:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php.  Let us know when
> it's done and also if you need help.
>
> Thanks for your effort and contribution to the free software
> community.
>
> Regards.

** some of the original email was snipped **

En la confianza de serles útiles, les saludamos cordialmente.
-Martin