Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Hosting requirements ina

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Hosting requirements inavrdude
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 01:11:20 +0200

Hi,

Ok, so let's try to sum up: one of the Savannah Hackers noticed
non-compliance of avrdude with the Savannah hosting requirements and
took action to enforce them.

First, what are hosting requirements?
They are linked from the "Submit a new project" page, that is:
http://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php

Which one was involved?
The one about "Speaking about Free Software", which really only covers
2 phrases: "open source" and "Linux".

I think one of you got the impression that we're to apply GNU
standards to non-GNU projects: this is not the case, as you can see
the "Speaking about Free Software" only covers this; GNU packages have
other requirements that we don't intend to contact non-GNU projects
about.

I hope this clarifies the scope of the initial request.

It appears that, in the process, avrdude fixed the non-compliance, so
we can consider this issue closed.

Secondly, the mail was worded by somebody with the habit of mass,
daily Savannah project submissions reviews.  But doing a repetitive
and non-rewarding (yet important) job is no excuse for impoliteness.
We ask you to accept our apologizes for that.

Given that this situation is not uncommon in the free software world
(who never got rude answers by a busy maintainer to a bug report?), we
wrote an explicit Code of Conduct:
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/CodeOfConduct

It includes elements from this conversation :)
It will be presented to new Savannah volunteers from now on.
If you have comments they are naturally welcome.

Last, your web repository was modified by us without your consent.
This is indeed a problem and rest assured that this won't happen
again.  People may have different views of the powers of a site admin,
and our (respectful) position is now explicit in the code of conduct
too.

With these clarifications and corrective actions, I hope we now can
resume working all together in good faith on a better software world
:)

Best regards,