Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #649274] colonialone ailing

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #649274] colonialone ailing
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 16:21:42 -0500

On 12/21/2010 02:16 PM, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 06:48:16PM -0500, Bernardo Innocenti via RT wrote:
REPLIES GO TO REQUESTORS BY DEFAULT.

On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 22:49 +0100, Sylvain Beucler wrote:

I don't have a recommendation for the hardware issues.
To minimize the chance of data loss in case the problem persists, we
would prefer to take the VMs down during resync as a precaution,

What are your preferred times for 3-4 hours of planned maintenance
downtime?
I won't be available much during the next few days, do I don't
personaly have a preferred time.

Only, make sure you temporarily disable the backup cron at
savannah-backup.gnu.org:/etc/cron.d/savannah-backup (and enable it
back afterwards).

- ward recommended using smaller RAID partitions used as separate LVM
   PVs for a bigger VG, in order to minimize the disks resync, so if
   there's a way to do that during the downtime, please do :)
This could even be done online:

1) create two or more md's on the 2 new drives
2) extend the lvm VG on these new md's,
3) migrate all the LV's to the new md's
4) finally, remove the old md's from the VG
5) repartition the old drives as the new ones
6) add the old drives to the new md's to restore quadruple redundancy

However, until we're certain that the hardware is sane, we should
probably avoid anything more sophisticated than a straight resync.
Right.

Bernie has started with the upgrade and it's being coordinated in #savannah.

I setup the downtime page and disabled the savannah-backup cron for the duration of the maintenance.