[Savannah-hackers-public] address@hidden: [gnu.org #675417] *-request al

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] address@hidden: [gnu.org #675417] *-request aliases not being created ]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 23:06:30 GMT

FYI.

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:03:15 -0500
From: "Ward Vandewege via RT" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

> [karl - Thu Feb 24 17:47:19 2011]:
>
> Creating a mailman list foo in the usual way no longer also creates
> address@hidden and the other associated addresses.
>
> About when it broke: from ~list/savannah*.log, bug-barcode was created
> on Nov 24 and bug-barcode-request works.  But the gawk-diffs and
> fontutils-commits lists I created a few days ago did not get their
> *-request addresses.  So sometime in the last couple months.
>
> The script involved, ~list/savannah_wrapper.pl, just calls mailman's
> newlist as far as I can see.  I know the standard newlist doesn't create
> the *-request and other aliases, but I guess lists's mailman was hacked
> to do so at some point?  I find it hard to follow.  Anyway, it's not
> happening now.

This happens by means of a cron job on lists that exports the various
addresses to eggs.

That cron job calls dbmbuild on eggs, which was apparently aborted
mid-run on February 4th and left a temp file. That temp file caused it
to simply not run anymore (without error message).

I fixed that now, and the -request addresses for these newer lists
should now work. I also added some extra sanity checks so that we don't
have this problem again in the future.

Thanks,
Ward.