Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [Savannah-register-public] project app

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [Savannah-register-public] project approval
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 21:11:04 -0500

Karl Berry wrote:
As I say above, it's not up to me to make final decisions -- I think we
should try to reach a consensus.  (Before changing guidelines, we should
at least hear from Michael and Jim, who have done much more than me with
savannah internals.)  My personal view at the moment is that I'm still
having trouble with the idea of hosting Windows-only software on
Savannah.

I'm going to have to agree here. I think any policy change should be made by consensus via email discussion in a public mailing list, such as savannah-hackers-public. This way we allow for public commentary on any proposed changes. Plus, it adds a level of transparency, which other "free" software development management sites lack.

Personally, I sort of see windows-only-software as a dependency issue. If a project is for "windows only", then windows becomes a requirement to run the software. When you really boil it down, if a package will only run on windows, then windows becomes a non-free dependency, which I have trouble with... especially since it's the operating system...

--

Michael