[Savannah-hackers-public] how to delete the master branch in savannah gi

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] how to delete the master branch in savannah git repository?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 21:05:19 +0900

Hi all,

In savannah, the default configuration file for git repository
is configured to deny non-fast-forward commit and deletion of
current branch.  How I can delete the master branch in savannah
git repository?

Now freetype2/freetype2-demos.git has 2 branches; "master" and
"master-20110602". The last changeset of "master" branch is wrong,
so I want to remove it. "master-20110602" is a branch from the
revision just before the wrong commit.

+------[normal commit]-----[wrong commit] master (default HEAD)
              \
               \[normal commit]---[normal commit]----+---> master-20110602

I want to cancel the last/wrong commit in "master" branch, or
delete "master" branch itself and move "master-20110602" to
next master.

As several users had ever posted, non-fast-forward commit
to overwrite the last/wrong changeset is refused.
Thus I tried to delete the master branch and push the master
before the last/wrong changeset from my local clone.

However, it is refused as:
$ git push origin :master
remote: error: By default, deleting the current branch is denied, because the
next
remote: error: 'git clone' won't result in any file checked out, causing
confusion.
remote: error:
remote: error: You can set 'receive.denyDeleteCurrent' configuration variable to
remote: error: 'warn' or 'ignore' in the remote repository to allow deleting the
remote: error: current branch, with or without a warning message.
remote: error:
remote: error: To squelch this message, you can set it to 'refuse'.
remote: error: refusing to delete the current branch: refs/heads/master
To ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/freetype/freetype2-demos.git
 ! [remote rejected] master (deletion of the current branch prohibited)
error: failed to push some refs to
'ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/freetype/freetype2-demos.git'

"push -f" or "push --delete" or "push -f --delete" does not
work either, like following errors.

$ git push -f origin :master
[...]

$ git push origin --delete master
[...]

$ git push -f origin --delete master

--

I heard, it is because I've not executed some process to change the "current
branch" in remote side, so the deletion of the master branch is denied.

I'm sure this is one of very frequently asked question, but I could not
find complete list of the command to execute from mailing list archive.
I'm quite sorry for asking this question.

Regards,
mpsuzuki