Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git migration status

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git migration status
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 14:34:49 -0700

Bob Proulx wrote:
> There has been some progress, regression, and progress again on the
> git server side of things.

Plus one more time...

One part of the service that I had not thought about testing was use
of git clone --depth 1 to build shallow clones.  This results in two
separate problems in different places.  Which again was discovered and
reported causing me to roll git back to the old server.

Thank you Evelyn for the problem report!  It was someone a couple of
miles from me that I know in real life.  It is a small world!

The first problem is with the git-daemon server.  It is run as the
nobody user and has no permissions to write files in the file system.
However it is trying to create a shallow_XXXXXX file in the git
repository where XXXXXX is replaced by the mkstemp(3) file name guess.
This action is not permitted and should not be permitted.  The git
daemon should not be writing files there.  This prevents shallow
clones using anonymous git from functioning.  However on other systems
the shallow_XXXXXX file is placed elsewhere that there is write
access.  I am chasing this down.

The second problem is that the http dumb transport also fails when
using the git clone --depth 1 option.  However we should be using the
transport which should be working.  I am chasing this down.

Bob