Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Blank space at the top of Savannah web pag

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Blank space at the top of Savannah web pages
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 13:10:09 -0700

Thérèse Godefroy wrote:
> I see the banner on fsf.org, and of course on gnu.org. So the Badger is
> mistaking static.fsf.org for an adserver?

I wouldn't call it a mistake.  Because Privacy Badger is executing a
policy rule uniformly and not trying to identify or not a particular
part of the page.  There isn't anything to change except to not run
that policy rule (removing Privacy Badger).  It is a question of
allowing content from the same domain or a different domain.

Since many problems occur from 3rd party sites.  Which are typically
ads but not always.  The typical problem is because of malicious
attack content within 3rd party ads and so they will get the most
exposure as being problematic.  And so it is a good idea to block
content from 3rd parties.  That is to say from a different domain.

The banner on www.gnu.org is inline and so it can't be separated from
the main page.  The banner on www.fsf.org is referencing
static.fsf.org and therefore with both in the fsf.org domain it is all
the same domain and would be considerd good by policy rules.

But savannah.gnu.org in the gnu.org domain is referencing an inline
frame from static.fsf.org in the fsf.org domain for the banner.  It's
a different domain.  And I think is the most likely reason it is
falling into the block by Privacy Badger.

I think in the end savannah.gnu.org should do the same thing as
www.gnu.org and therefore have the same behavior in browsers.  It
would all look the same then.  I'll investigate this.

Bob