[Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #1309037] Re: Fwd: Report Domain: hok

From: Ian Kelling via RT
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #1309037] Re: Fwd: Report Domain: hokulea.org Submitter: fastmail.com Report-ID:2018.07.19.137106152
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 10:55:21 -0400

On Sat Jul 21 00:32:04 2018, rwp wrote:
> Hello Ken,
>
> Ken Harris wrote:
> > When sending to gpsd-dev , I never get replies (but see replies in the
> > mail archives)
>
> Your domain hokulea.org appears to be handled by Google Gmail.  Your
> description is one that often confuses people using Gmail because of
> the way Gmail works.  What happens is that when you send a message
> Gmail tags your message as "Sent".  Google thinks that you saw the
> message when you sent it and therefore doesn't tag it as Inbox unless
> you write a special rule to add the "Inbox" tag yourself.  I can't say
> puts it in the Sent folder because there is only one folder and only
> messages with specific tags are viewed.  If you view your messages
> tagged Sent you should see your outgoing message.  When the mailing
> list later sends your reply back to you Google matches the message id
> as already existing in your mailbox tagged Sent and therefore thinks
> it is a duplicate and drops it.
>
> Then later if someone replies to your message you will see this other
> person's reply.  The reply is tagged with Inbox.  It is also a reply
> to your previously sent message which was tagged Sent.  That
> previously sent message is connected into the thread due to the reply
> pulling it into the thread.  Therefore you should be seeing your own
> messages in the thread if someone replies to it.
>
> This behavior is really confusing.  It is one of those frequently
> asked questions.
>
> > and I get DMARC reports for the domain nongnu.org (see
> > attached).
> > This is a DMARC aggregate report for hokulea.org
>
> That report appears to be for hokulea.org as stated and not for
> gnu.org or nongnu.org though.
>
> > I'm not an expert, but I think there are problems with the email
> > system at nongnu.org :
> > https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/checkmx/check?domain=nongnu.org
> >
> > Do you know who the postmaster is ?

> problems should be reported.  However address@hidden is also
> appropriate since the FSF admins are the ones that are needed to
> address those issues.
>
> Bob
>
> P.S. The address@hidden is for discussion of
> Savannah, the GNU free software forge.  Savannah Hackers can't do
> anything about mail list DMARC issues.

I don't know how gmail works, but what Bob said sounds right. Also, you
are correct that our lists are not yet DMARC compliant for all
messages. It is an issue we plan to fix this year. This is fine for
almost all domains because they use a DMARC policy of none.  Don't send
mail to our lists with a domain which has a DMARC policy other than
none. Your domain looks good:

$ host -t txt _dmarc.hokulea.org
_dmarc.hokulea.org descriptive text "v=DMARC1; p=none;
rua=mailto:address@hidden";

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF