[Savannah-hackers] Re: ssh port strategy

From: Niels Möller
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: ssh port strategy
Date: 07 Mar 2001 10:37:18 +0100

Mike Nugent <address@hidden> writes:

> I was considering doing this on the linuxgreenhouse.org box also.  Is
> there an easy way to tell it to listen on multiple ports without running
> multiple sshd's?

I don't think so, although I don't know all features of opensshd.

What would a reasonable command line interface for that look like?
lshd has the options --interface to specify which interface/ip to
listen on (by default, all), and -p to specify the port (by default
whatever is listed under "ssh" in /etc/services, or 22 if that lookup
fails). Currently, one can't use several --interface or -p.

This doesn't generalize well for specifying several ports, where each
port applies to one or more interface, as ports and interfaces have to
be associated more closely. Perhaps one could extend the --interface
option to take a port as well, something like

  --interface=*:22 --interface=subversions:443

-p port could be an alias for --interface=*:port, or it could specify
a default for --interface options that doesn't provide an explicit
port. What's the right thing to do?

One may also want to be able to express things like "port 22 on all
ipv4 interfaces, and port 4711 on all ipv6 interfaces".

Suggestions are appreciated; it shouldn't be too hard to hack lshd to
listen on several ports in parallell.

Regards,
/Niels