[Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU packages repository

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU packages repository
Date: 13 Mar 2001 22:28:10 -0500

Milan Zamazal <address@hidden> writes:

>     HG> I don't know if you are aware of http://savannah.gnu.org
>
> No, thanks for the notice, the site looks nice.

Thanks, but actually those compliments should go to Loic, I joined the
team for Savannah just recently.

>     HG> I am willing to help you migrate all the GNATS infrastructure to
>     HG> Savannah, or at least part of it (enough to make a presence: one
>     HG> web page, and the mailing lists).
>
> Thanks, I think it's a good idea to have a central GNU project
> repository, so I'll definitely think about moving all the GNATS
> infrastructure there.

Good!, let us know how we can help.

> There is no question about maintaining a Web page there but before
> moving other resources (mailing lists, CVS archive, bug tracking) out of
> Red Hat, I'd like to know whether you can guarantee good reliability of
> savannah in the future?  Please don't take this question offensive, it
> results from my experience with sourceforge, which I'd consider
> unsuitable for my projects because of its performance problems.

:)

Don't worry, we take no offense.

We are definitely committed to provide good reliability, besides we
will not get that big and complex as SourceForge, Savannah is only for
components of the GNU system.

>     HG> I am part of the team of system administrators, and one of my
>     HG> tasks is to integrate GNATS as the bug tracking system of
>     HG> Savannah (instead of the SourceForge one).
>
> OK, I'd like to help you if needed, however there are two problems now.
>
> First, please note that Gnatsweb, a GNATS Web frontend, is a software
> without license.  Without going into details now, it needn't be easy to
> fix, Gerald Pfeifer (the current official Gnatsweb maintainer) is going
> to contact RMS about the issue.  Thus there is a problem if you want to
> use Gnatsweb as the Web interface.

Thanks for pointing that out, I have contacted Gerald (you have been
copied) and he will fix that issue.

> Another unfortunate fact is that I'm sick for a few weeks now :-(,
> so I can't offer much help just now.

:(

I hope you get well soon.

>  Do you have some time frame when you'd like to install and set up
> the bug tracking system (something more concrete than ASAP:-)?

Well, it definitely is an ASAP, because right now if any of the
projects needs bug tracking, there is none, except for the current
GNATS implementation that we have, but only a few projects are using
it.

Please take a look of the list of tasks related to GNATS-Savannah
integration.

https://savannah.gnu.org/pm/task.php?group_id=11&group_project_id=5

>     HG> In order to use Savannah, please register yourself but don't
>     HG> submit a project, there is one already waiting for you ;)
>
> OK, I'll do so once I get rid of my sickness.  I'll let you know.

Ok.

Greetings,
- --
Hugo Gayosso