[Savannah-hackers] savannah.org

From: loic
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.org
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:15:15 +0100 (CET)

Jeff Bailey writes:
 > On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 05:57:38PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
 >
 > >  I agree with all this. Except for the fact that something else than
 > > savannah
 > > need to be chosen (savannah is a place where GNU live ;-).
 >
 > The GNUs are having friends for tea. =)

 :-) Almost exactly what I thought when I replied. And since Savannah meaning
is obscure to almost everyone, it would not be misleading. The explanation of
the name could be as follow.

 "Savannah is the terrain where gnu live. On savannah.org all software is
Free Software, some GPL, some under another license. The GNU created this
universe and welcome all the software that has a GPL compatible
license, and GNU can have friends for tea. Unlike in the real world,
all software living on savannah.org can become a GNU software by asking
for it to address@hidden".

 My english is not proper english but I like the idea. There would then be

 - savannah.org == savannah.gnu.org
 - ftp.savannah.org == ftp.gnu.org/non-gnu
 - project.savannah.org == gnudist:/home/www/html/savannah/project
 - mail.savannah.org == mail.gnu.org/???
 - cvs.savannah.org == subversions.gnu.org
 - bugs.savannah.org == bugs.gnu.org/???

 How does it sound ? The workload implied to actually implement this is
a matter of hours (except for mail + gnats for which I have no feedback
yet).

        Cheers,